If you need records, we will gopher you.

What if my records are on a commercial web site?

Records are actively being digitized by the National Archives and third-party companies like  Once a record has been digitized, it is placed out of circulation (or even destroyed) so that the originals are no longer accessible by the public.

If we find that your records are available online, then we will refer you to that site at no charge. If it is a commercial site, however, a membership ($) may be required in order for you to access those records.  There are ways to access most such sites for free, e.g., through a library or free trial membership.  If none of those options are available to you, then we can probably provide copies of the records for a small fee (subject to the “Terms and Conditions” of the commercial site in question).

Did you find this FAQ helpful?

Spread the word. Share this post!

Leave Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *